DNA Testing Options
Important Information – The DNA Testing Submission Form must be completely filled out when it is sent to the ASA office. Be sure to include tattoo, Reg #, sex, DOB, Sire Reg #, and Dam Reg # on each animal you are submitting for testing. Forms that are incomplete are subject to a processing fee. – A $2/sample fee will be charged to all hair samples. GeneSeek has implemented this fee due to increased processing and a higher percentage of retesting with hair samples. – GeneSeek recommends using tissue samples as their preferred method of genetic testing. Tissue samples are preferred due to their ease of sampling, longer storage life, and quicker turnaround time. Tissue samples are taken using an Allflex applicator tool to remove a sample from the animal’s ear into a small tube for storing the sample. If you are interested in using tissue sampling, contact GeneSeek to order your applicator tool and sample collection units. – If you have any questions regarding DNA testing, please contact the ASA office.
Test That Satisfy AI Sire/Donor Dam Requirements
GGP-LD 50K with TH, PHA, DS: $80 This testing for AI Sire/Donor Dam requirements includes parent verification, a GGP-LD 50K DNA profile, and testing for known genetic conditions (TH, PHA, DS). Selecting animals for this test will allow them to have genomically-enhanced EPDs (GE-EPDs).
GGP-150K with TH, PHA, DS: $125 This testing for AI Sire/Donor Dam requirements includes parent verification, a GGP-F250 (250K) DNA profile, and testing for known genetic conditions (TH, PHA, DS). Selecting animals for this test will allow them to have genomically-enhanced EPDs (GE-EPDs). Genomic Profiles (GGP Products)
GGP– HD 150K: $90 This is a high density (150K) testing panel that includes parentage markers. This test is recommended for elite sires and donor dams with large numbers of progeny. Selecting this profile will allow the animal to receive GE-EPDs.
GGP-LD 50K: $55 This is a low density (50K) testing panel that includes parentage markers. Animals with the LD-50K profile will receive GE-EPDs.
GGP-uLD 25K: $40 The markers on the GGP-uLD profile are used to calculate GE-EPDs. The available markers on the GGP-uLD can be imputed to the equivalence of the GGP-LD 50K. The GGP-uLD is recommended for young bulls, replacement heifers, or testing the entire cow herd. Genetic Conditions and Stand Alone Tests
Testing for genetic conditions and stand-alone products can be ordered independently of GGP products. However, animals tested for genetic conditions without a genomic profile will NOT have GE-EPDs available. All genetic condition and parentage tests (both bundle and stand-alone) are automatically loaded into the Digital Beef registry if the test is run through GeneSeek
TH, PHA, DS Bundle: $48
Parentage Markers: $35
Tibial Hemimelia (TH): $27
Pulmonary Hypoplasia with Anasarca (PHA): $27
Digital Subluxation (DS): $27
Fesuce Tolerance DNA Test: $27 The test for fescue tolerance developed by AgBotanica identifies genetic markers that indicate an animal’s ability to tolerate toxic fescue. Outputs from the test will give you a numeric score (0 to 50, with 50 being the highest) on the online registry, as well as the $Fescue in
dex. Cattle that have not been tested for fescue tolerance will not have $Fescue available.
Genetic Testing Policy
Below are the current rules and regulations from the ASA in regards to Genetic Condition and DNA genotyping.
Section 8. DNA GENOTYPING/GENETIC CONDITION TESTINGS
- DNA GENOTYPING: DNA genotyping is utilized in establishing parentage and may also be used in determining the presence a genetic
- General: Animals do not have to be DNA genotyped to be registered. However, if an animal becomes an A.I. sire or a donor dam, all required genetic testing must be completed and a DNA genotype will be parent verified, whenever possible, on file with the ASA prior to registering any progeny. If an A.I. sire or donor dam has died or the resulting progeny do not have the appropriate DNA for all known genetic conditions on file with the ASA, then the resulting calves can only be registered after the same tests for A.I. Sire or Donor Dam qualifications are met for each AI and/or embryo calf.
- Random DNA Genotyping: At the discretion of the ASA Board of Directors, random DNA genotyping may be performed. Failure to cooperate with an ASA request within (30) days of notification, will result in sanctions as deemed appropriate as provided in Article II, Section 7 & Section 8 of the ASA Bylaws, including without limitation the suspension of the owner’s membership and suspension of the animal’s registration
- Analysis: All DNA samples shall be analyzed by the ASA’s designated laboratory and an interpretation shall be rendered by the laboratory’s director.
- Satellite (STR) Markers Previous to May 1, 2014: All animals in the registry with STR DNA (Satellite) markers which identify them as having the proper verified parentage previous to May 1, 2014 have their parentage verification grandfathered into the registry. These resulting animals will be accepted in the registry as is and grandfathered in – with the technology used at the time they were tested to determine parentage – confirming they were parent verified. Animals that fall in this category will continue to maintain their Donor Dam and AI Sire Qualified status in relation to their DNA parentage verification requirements. However, any future progeny or animals resulting from STR DNA tested parents after May 1, 2014 will only be accepted for parentage verification by being tested with SNP (snip) Markers.